There are two "First Round" games on the slate tonight for the NCAA Tournament:
- (16) Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils vs. (16) Western Kentucky Hilltoppers at 6:40 pm.
- The winner plays #1 Kentucky but look at the bright side, whoever wins won a "First Round" game
- WKU is the only team in the field with a losing record (15-18) and first to reach with a losing record in 4 years. The Hilltoppers have yet to play a ranked team this year and after their loss against South Alabama on February 18th, their record was 9-18. And they shoot under 40% from the floor,
goodbad enough for 321st out of 338 D1 schools.
- MVSU gets outscored by 0.4 points per game yet went 21-12, including 17-1 in SWAC play. Maybe because they travelled to UNC, Wisconsin, Florida, Notre Dame, South Carolina, Arkansas, Northwestern, Ole Miss, and Iowa State. Talk about schedule suicide. You can't say they aren't battle tested.
- (14) Brigham Young Cougars vs. (14) Iona Gaels at 9:10 pm
- The winner plays #3 Marquette
- Iona plays offense like a chicken without a head and has no problems scoring - they're 1st in the nation in points per game (83.3). Oh, and they're 1st in the nation is assists per game (19.3). So to make the case that because they "didn't play anyone" and shouldn't be in the tournament is ridiculous. They went 6-2 in road games in December ... and went 0-0 in home games in December. That's right, they spent an entire month playing road games.
- Sure, Jimmer is gone, but BYU can still light it up - 78.2 points per game (21st in the nation) but they play also play some defense now - Jimmer did not. They lost to Wisconsin, Baylor, and St. Mary's in Provo and really didn't beat a good team on the road (unless you consider Virginia Tech a good road win).