There are also some pretty cool names in these Olympics, as is to be expected, so without further ado, here's my list of some of the more gnarly names that had the distinguished honor of carrying a flag for their country last night.
- Max Mirnyi - Berlarus - Max is just a great name
- Sherab Zam - Bhutan - ZAM!!
- Marko Blaževski - Macedonia - I just liked the little marking over the "z"
- Ruddy Zang Milama - Gabon - ZANG!!
- Winston George - Guyana - It just sounds so distinguished
- I Gede Siman Sudartawa - Indonesia - Referring to yourself as "I" rules
- Kilakone Siphonexay - Lao People's Democratic Republic - Do I need to say anything?
- Hortense Diédhiou - Senegal - Hortense is such an intense name
- Zamzam Mohamed Farah - Somalia - Zam-Zam!!
- Ismail Ahmed Ismail - Sudan - The old Ismail sandwich
- Chinyere Pigot - Suriname - It's one of my wife's athletes at UConn - Go Chin!
- Nuttapong Ketin - Thailand - Say it and you're bound to smile
- Mariel Zagunis - United States of America - USA!! USA!! USA!!
- Nguyễn Tiến Nhật - Vietnam - Certainly not a shortage of accent marks?
- Prince Mumba - Zambia - The royalest of names
The People's Republic of China leads the medal count with 6 total - 4 gold and 2 bronze followed by Italy with 5 (2 gold, 2 silver, 1 bronze) and the good old U.S. of A, also with five (1 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze).
Kazakhstan has a medal - a GOLD medal - courtesy of "Vino" Alexandr Vinokurov in the cycling road race. Borat was not in attendance - or maybe he was.